How does the Kilauea volcano affect your travel plans?
The short answer — it shouldn’t. Every island and resort United Vacations® books with remain open and unaffected. The Kilauea volcano has touched a small area on the eastern end of Hawaii’s Big Island (as seen in the map below), but travel and activities throughout Hawaii continue safely and unencumbered.
Have more specific questions? We’d love to help. Contact a United Vacations representative at 1-888-854-3899.
According to the Hawaiian Tourism Authority:
- Volcanic activity is contained to a remote 10-square-mile area on the eastern end of Hawaii’s Big Island.
- All flights to Kona and Hilo remain open.
- Air quality remains largely unchanged, except near where the lava is flowing.
- Nearly all attractions and accommodations are operating normally, except a precautionary closure of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
We’re finding the best Flights and Hotels for your vacation now
- The primary cardmember and one companion on the same reservation will also receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United Explorer Card.*
- United Explorer Cardmembers will earn 2 miles for each $1 spent on United Vacation purchases.**
* Free Checked Bag: The primary Cardmember and one traveling companion on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their first standard checked bag free; authorized users are only eligible if they are on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember. To receive first standard checked bag free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus® number in their reservation and use their UnitedSM
Explorer Card to purchase their ticket(s). First standard checked bag free is only available on United- and United Express-operated flights; codeshare partner-operated flights are not eligible. Service charges for oversized, overweight and extra baggage may apply. Cardmembers who are already exempt from other checked baggage service charges will not receive an additional free standard checked bag. Chase is not responsible for the provision of, or failure to provide, the stated benefits. For more information, please visit united.com/chasebag
** Double miles on United purchases: Earn 2 miles total for each $1 spent (1 additional mile on top of the 1 mile per $1 earned on each purchase) on airline tickets purchased from United. The following purchases made from United also earn 2 miles total for each $1 spent: seat upgrades; Economy Plus®; inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi; baggage service charges or other United fees. Other United related purchases, such as United Cruises®, MileagePlus X, DIRECTV® and Merchandise Awards, are excluded. United tickets booked through some discount travel websites or as part of a third-party travel package will also not qualify.
Chase Bank USA, N.A. is not responsible for the provision of or the failure to provide the promotional offers. Miles will post directly to your United MileagePlus account and will not appear on your Chase statement.